4/29/2020 2 Comments
My Spring/Summer Capsule wardrobe
During this strange time of COVID-19, I, like many others, have been reflecting on what is it that I truly need: Good health, shelter, food, friends and family, and some entertainment! (You can throw the internet, Netflix, and books into that last category)
At the end of the day, that's pretty much it.
I've been applying the same thought process to my closet. I know I'm not alone in thinking, "Do I really need all of this stuff?"
Even when we will be allowed to out for dinner, drinks or to a meeting, what are the pieces that I really love and wear on repeat?
I've whittled things down to my true favourites, my capsule collection for spring and summer. I have these exact items (or some versions of them) in my closet. And yes, I have a lot more too. But I'm determined to take my cue from this time of less and apply it to my future shopping habits, investing in quality pieces that I love and will wear again and again.
Everything I'm wearing in the above photo is at least 1-3 years old, and I still love every piece.
Here are a few of my capsule wardrobe must-haves. I've provided links to some similar options for inspo, but I say, make it your own!
Jackets and Blazers
(from left to right)
1) A cargo-style jacket. Instant cool.
2) Leather or faux leather biker jacket. And investment piece to be sure, but so worth it. Mine's about 6 years old.
3) Denim Jacket. After years of wear, mine finally got threadbare and I had to replace it. I bought the same brand.
5) Black blazer, works for winter too.
6) White blazer, depending on the weight of the fabric, could also work for winter.
DRESSES & JUMPSUITS
1) A white dress. I love the boho style of this one.
2) A jumpsuit in army green, black or denim.
3) The perfect LBD. This is a piece I believe in spending a bit more on. Get one you love and wear it for years.
4) Something strappy. A slip style is a great choice for summer. It would pair well with the denim jacket.
5) Something bright. This one would be perfect for beach, for sightseeing, and even evening with some dressier flats.
1. A basic black T-shirt. I prefer V-necks, I find them more flattering. I like the vintage cotton Ts at J Crew.
2. Basic white T (or too, because they yellow so quickly.)
3. A Rocker T, because I love them!
4. Something striped. This is a piece that never goes out of style.
5. A boho style blouse in either white or black.
6. A basic cami, in white or black. Great for under those blazers and jackets.
7. Something grey. I love the bee print on this one.
8. An additional fun piece, like a leopard cami.
1. White jeans. I like a cropped cut for summer.
2. Boyfriend jeans. Again, I like cropped, but a flare leg is also very in. For the boyfriend style, I love Citizens of Humanity Emerson Slim.
3. Black jeans. I like to keep these skinny for a sleek, slimming look.
4. Olive green pants/joggers. This is a style that I update every few years.
5. A basic black pant that you can dress up or down.
6. Joggers or sweatpants. I think we've all learned the importance of those!
1. The perfect white sneaker. I confess, I have a few of these but I do wear all of them.
2. Black sneakers. Okay, maybe I have a few of these too. Golden Goose, Common Projects, and Converse are my go-tos.
3. Black sandals. A wrap style can be dressed up or down.
4. Nude flat sandals. I think this is probably my most worn colour and style in the summer. They go with everything.
5. Flip flops. Again, I gravitate towards nude because they go with everything and they elongate the leg.
6. Black booties. Because let's face it, it rains in spring!
7. A white sandal. I'm gravitating towards kitten heels these days, more comfortable, more wearable.
8. A wedge or espadrille. Mine are ancient, maybe time for a new pair.
1. A black belt. I have a Gucci one like this. And yes, it's expensive. But I wear it a ton! It gives some edge and a cool factor to any outfit. And I'll have it forever.
2. A brown belt, for all those nude shoes.
3. A black bag. I love this one from French brand Polene. It's on my shopping list.
4. A straw/raffia bag. For travel, for the beach, for the market.
5. A crossbody bag. I have this one from Chloe. This pink shade actually pairs well with almost anything.
6. A sun hat. I generally don't spend a ton on these because there are good ones at every price point.
7. Sunglasses. Ray-bans are the gold standard for retro cool!
1. A black one piece bathing-suit.
2. A fun bikini. I like to see a pop of red at the beach.
3. The perfect cozy sweatshirt. (Or two.)
4. Denim shorts. I have a shorter pair for when the mercury climbs and a longer pair for the rest of the time.
5. Black leggings. I have them in a few lengths, full, 3/4 and knee length, depending on the temperature and activity.